Associate Rector Position
All Souls Parish in Berkeley is seeking an Associate Rector who will walk with us as a leader, a member of a team of lay and ordained ministers, and by our sides as we seek to follow Jesus in his boldness, courage, and compassion. The Associate Rector will join a vibrant community that strives to follow the call to be the body of Christ in the world.
All Souls is a thriving congregation, working to find new ways to follow Jesus and make church together in the 21st century. We practice an active hope that guides our engagement in our (local and global) community and context. In the next few years, using the proceeds from our 2020 capital campaign, All Souls is committed to pursue our goals of carbon neutrality, total accessibility, flexibility and renewed vitality in our existing spaces, and a large building project that will provide affordable housing for low-income seniors.
We are seeking an Associate Rector who will collaborate with and support our Rector, staff, and uniquely engaged lay leaders on this exciting and sometimes challenging path. Our vestry is committed to paying a just wage to all clergy and staff to enable them to thrive alongside our congregation.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- The full-time Associate Rector will play a key organizational role in the operational areas of church life: pastoral care, liturgical leadership in all its seasons, family, youth, and children’s ministries, newcomer incorporation, retreats, and the day to day coordination of our network of lay leaders, musicians, staff, and non-stipendiary clergy. The Associate Rector must be exceptionally organized and capable of managing complex projects with skill and grace.
- The Associate Rector should have a passion and gift for preaching. Our intellectual community relies on thoughtful, articulate sermons that speak to our deep spiritual hunger and core life concerns while challenging us to continue our formation for discipleship.
- The Associate Rector will be a primary Christian guide in our parish family, modeling the mature practice of an authentic, contagious, and open-hearted faith that welcomes all who seek Christ.
If this position excites you and you would like to explore joining us on the journey, please download and study the full job description here.
To apply, email the following materials with the subject line “All Souls Associate Priest” to Jen Dary (firstname.lastname@example.org): cover letter, resume, your OTM profile, three references, samples of three sermons (text is required, links for audio or video are welcome) and your answers to the following questions (limit 500 words per question):
- How is your Christian faith manifested in your life and ministry?
- What is compelling for you about this position of Associate Rector at All Souls?
- How might your gifts, skills, and passions complement our communal vision for the next several years?
- Tell us about a recent experience in a challenging pastoral care situation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning January 22, 2020.